The idea of body art has entrhalled civilisations across the years. The decision to do so has always been associated with courage –
the seemingly permanent nature of it is not everyone’s cup of tea. With improving technology, however, erasing those poorly thought out ink sessions just got easier.
The process of tattoo removal is no new feat – lasers have been used for many years now to erase these dermal ink collections. Older technology, however, typically resulted in long-drawn treatment durations – over 1 to 2 years – and often with sub-optimal results and complications such as blistering and scarring.
The advent of the Starwalker MaQX Laser platform with its high peak powers, picosecond waveforms and FracTat technology changes all that – great treatment comfort, greater efficacy per session and reduced side effects are all now a reality.
The Starwalker MaQX
Benefits of Starwalker MaQX in treating:
Pigmentation and Tattoos:
Pigment lasers are largely non-ablative, and include the older generation Nanosecond as well as the newer Picosecond lasers.
The two types of lasers differ in the speed at which an individual pulse of energy is delivered – the picosecond lasers deliver their pulses many times faster than that of older lasers.
This quicker pulse of energy delivered results in:
- A greater photoacoustic (mechanical) effect, shattering pigments much more effectively
- A smaller photothermal (heating) effect, reducing side effects related to heat
One could look at it like a, quicker, harder punch at pigmented targets – pigmentation and tattoo ink is broken down to smaller pieces, but with less laser time on the face.
The Starwalker MaQX system cleverly combines both technologies, allowing high energy pulses from nanosecond platforms, while delivering them at ultra-short pulses. This gives flexibility and breadth in treatment possibilities.
Fractat - Safer, quicker Tattoo Removal
When tattoo pigments are hit by conventional Q-switch laser beams, particles break down with the production and release of gas. This gas overlies the remaining pigment particles, resulting in 2 problems:
- A shielding effect – Gas above pigments protects the remaining pigments from subsequent laser beams. As a result, repeated pigment breakdown within a single session is not possible; you have to come back for repeat sessions after 1-3 months and duration for complete treatment is prolonged.
- Higher complication rate: The gas bubbles formed result in blister formation as air is trapped beneath the skin. These blisters result in longer downtime after each laser, and predispose to possible scarring or infections.
The Fotona patented FracTat procedure involves the drilling of micro-holes into the skin using a fractional ablative laser technique. These holes act as ducts that release the gas and pressure buildup after each pass of the Q-switched laser.
When the Fotona patented FracTat™ procedure is performed, micro holes are first drilled into the skin using a fractional ablative laser function. The fractional micro holes act as pressure relief ducts through which the gases can escape.
A repeat laser over the deeper pigments can then be done almost immediately to get rid of more pigment particles in one sitting, reducing the number of sessions required.
The ultimate end result is:
- Faster tattoo removal with less sessions required
- Safer tattoo removal
- Shorter downtime